How to Make a WordPress Website in 2022 (The Ultimate Guide)
Are you looking to make a website? Starting a website can be a terrifying thought specially when you’re not techy. Don’t worry, you’re not alone.
Having helped over 400,000+ people make a website with WordPress, we have decided to create the most comprehensive step by step guide on how to a create a WordPress website without learning how to code.
This guide is useful for users of all ages and skill levels. However, if you need help, then you can contact our expert team to help you setup your website for free.
If you want to do it by yourself, then please continue to follow our beginner friendly guide on how to make a website.
Step 1: Getting a Domain Name
In case you didn’t know, a domain name is basically the address of your website on the internet. It helps internet users find your site on the web.
Choosing a Good Domain Name
Before you go ahead and purchase a domain name, there are certain things you need to consider first. Since the domain name is the identity of your website, you’re going to have to be careful before picking one.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when selecting a domain name;
- Keep it simple and short: Nobody wants to type a long and confusing domain name on their browser. Therefore, it’s important to make sure that it’s easy to remember and write.
- Make it suitable for your website: Of course, the domain name also needs to indicate what your website is about. It should be related to your content in some way.
- Keep it unique: It goes without saying that your domain name needs to be unique so that visitors don’t get your site confused with others.
- Choose an appropriate extension: Domain name extensions are of different types, such as .com for commercial, .org for organizations, .biz for business, and more. Make sure that you pick the extension that goes with the purpose of your site.
Once you’ve considered these, you should have no issues picking the perfect domain name for your site. Plus, you can get help from domain name generators.
How to Buy a Domain Name?
Now let us move on to the actual process of buying a domain name. There are tons of domain name registrars that allow you to do this.
In this WordPress guide, we’re going to be using Namecheap to show you how it’s done.
Step 2: Getting a Web Hosting
Now that you have your domain name setup, we can move on to the second step, web hosting. While a domain name is like the address of your website, the hosting is where your site is actually located.
Basically, web hosting is storage that contains all the files of your website.
Once they’ve been stored there, visitors will be able to access your site. Therefore, choosing good web hosting is a very crucial step in creating your WordPress website.
Types of Web Hosting Services
You’ll find that there are different types of hosting services out there. Once you understand what these are, you’ll be able to pick the type of hosting that perfectly suits your needs.
- Shared Hosting
Cheapest hosting plan. With shared hosting, multiple websites share the same IP address and resources of the server including the memory, hard disk space, and bandwidth.
Pros: Budget-friendly plan.
Cons: Limited space, compromised speed, and security.
- VPS (Virtual Private Server)
With the VPS plan, you will be provided a certain portion of server resources. You will share the server with other VPS users but there’ll be limited users, not as many as in the shared plan.
Pros: Secure, Option to get more server resources anytime as your business grows.
Cons: Expensive for small businesses and beginners.
- Dedicated Hosting
A very expensive plan where all the server resources are dedicated to a single user. It’s perfect for large enterprises that expect a ton of website traffic.
Pros: Full storage, bandwidth, and full control over the server resources, more secure.
Cons: Not a cost-effective plan for small companies.
- Managed Hosting
How to Choose the Best Hosting for WordPress?
For example, large enterprises will have to deal with a ton of visitors and require a powerful hosting plan as a result. However, a small blog won’t have issues with the limited bandwidth of Shared Hosting. Similarly, a website that deals with a ton of multimedia content will require more server space, compared to a text-only website.
Hostinger International, Ltd is an employee-owned Web hosting provider and Internet domain registrar, established in 2004. Hostinger is the parent company of 000webhost, Hosting24, Zyro, Niagahoster and Weblink.
How to Install WordPress With Auto Installer
To install WordPress as quickly as possible, look for a web hosting provider that can perform the installation for you. Some hosting providers, including Hostinger, offer a quick and easy installation method using an Auto Installer.
Our WordPress hosting plans, for example, are specifically optimized for WordPress and let you complete the installation in just a few clicks.
Here’s how to use Hostinger’s Auto Installer:
1. Log in to your web hosting account and click Hosting on the main menu
2. Choose the domain name for your new WordPress-powered website and click the Manage button to access your hPanel.
3. On your hPanel Dashboard, locate the Auto Installer button under the Website section.
4. Under Auto Installer, choose WordPress and click the Select button.
5. Fill out the Install WordPress form:
- Check your custom domain name and make sure it says “wordpress” next to it.
- The Administrator Username, Password, and Email are for the WordPress login. They do not need to be the same as the web hosting login information. Make sure to choose a strong password to prevent security breaches.
- Create a WordPress Site Title.
- Choose your preferred Language.
- Select the Always update to latest available version option for automatic updates.
After filling out all the necessary information, hit the Install button.
- Hostinger will show Installed Applications. Click on the three dots next to your WordPress URL. Select Manage to go to My WordPress Dashboard.
- On the WordPress Dashboard, click the Edit Website button to access WordPress Administration Dashboard.
- Another way to access the WordPress Admin Dashboard is by clicking the Dashboard button under WordPress on hPanel.
The WordPress login URL is your domain name with /wp-login.php. Your login URL looks something like this: https://example.com/wp-login.php. Replace ‘example.com’ with your domain name and enter it on your browser. Then, you’ll see the WordPress login page.
After that, enter the WordPress login credentials that you received earlier. For safety, you can bookmark our detailed guide on WordPress login.
Next, you’ll be able to access your WordPress Dashboard, which is where you can manage your website. The dashboard looks like the screenshot below.
Everything from writing articles, to managing users, to even customizing your website is done here. You can see all the options neatly laid out in the sidebar on the left.
Let’s go through these options one by one:
- Posts: You can add, edit, and manage all kinds of posts for your website from here.
- Pages: This is where you can create, edit, and manage the static pages, such as ‘About Us’, and ‘Contact Us’ for your website. Check our guide on the difference between posts and pages.
- Media: You will be able to manage the various media items such as images, audio, video, etc from this option.
- Comments: If you want to moderate the comments left by your visitors, you can do so from here.
- Appearance: From here, you can customize the looks of your site, including the design, menus, widgets, and more.
- Plugins: If you wanted to add more features to your site, you can go here and manage your plugins.
- Users: This option allows you to manage the different user accounts registered to your website.
- Tools: From here, you can check out some of the useful tools that come with WordPress, such as Site Importer/Exporter, Site Health, etc.
- Settings: You will be able to configure how your site works from here. Since WordPress is a flexible platform, there are a lot of settings to work with.
Step 2: Improve Your Website Speed
Imagine, you open a website and it takes forever to load. Would you visit that site again? We assume your answer is ‘No’. That’s why the loading speed of your site is very important to attract more audience.
Actually, the right question is, therefore ‘how to create a fast WordPress website?’.
To increase the speed of your site, you need to install a plugin. There are several plugins however, we recommend the WP Rocket plugin. It’s one of the best all-in-one WordPress speed optimization plugins. WP Rocket is a premium plugin, and you can purchase it for a price starting at $49/year.
Conclusion on How to Make a WordPress Website in 2022 (The Ultimate Guide)
That’s it; our path to learning how to make a WordPress website efficiently is done!
The cool thing about this process is that it’s repeatable and can be applied over and over again, no matter what type of WordPress website you’re working on.
Post a Comment